Last Updated on
The below mentioned 19 points can be taken as an idea generator for your startup as a freelancer/entrepreneur. It is expected that you are proficient in writing English or at least there is a predilection towards the same. The parallel track of being a software programmer is always a welcome that actually adds perhaps higher income potential. In between can be a mix of one who can come out with contents in the form of say articles and develop websites using CMS like WordPress.
- Given the promising outlook of cloud computing, building expertise around cloud computing technologies by choosing one or more from the leading brands: Amazon Web Service (AWS), Google Cloud, Microsoft Azure, Digital Ocean, Alibaba Cloud. If AWS, follow course roadmap prescribed as part of AWS certifications. The same concept goes for other cloud computing technology brands.
- Exploring Kentico, web content management and online marketing platform powered by .NET MVC technology as Solution Partner in addition to WordPress built on PHP technology.
- Making the best of data and data science through applications like Splunk.
- Exploring podcasting as an additional source of content dissemination by leveraging platforms like Podbean.
- Coming out with at least 2 ebooks in the next 12 months to be published through Amazon KDP program wherein the source of the content will be already published blogs blended into a coherent book.
- Staying enrolled with learning programs with a tilt towards software programming on platforms like Edx, Udacity, and SitePoint. The SitePoint is convenient for those who are more comfortable with text books instead of videos.
- Become a publisher with e-learning platforms like Alison.
- Making better use of internet marketing platforms including HubSpot and WPBeginner with its network of sites.
- Contemplating partnerships with financial software entities like LivePlan (Palo Alto Software), makers of business plan software and PayPal, international payment service provider.
- Working closely with affiliate partners as publisher (Commission Junction, ShareaSale, Impact Radius, Rakuten Linkshare, Partner Stack, Awin, Amazon Associates).
- Contemplating setting up a call center facility as part of outbound marketing for seeking national and international clients. For those enrolled in StartupIndia program, Exotel and MyOperator are providing a liberal free trial offer. Also interesting is free business phone system for startups by Callision.com (click here for special offer with extra perks).
- Keeping eye on fresh opportunities doing online work such as review writing, participating in surveys from the likes of MTurk, SwagBucks, Respondent, SlashData.
- Coming out with original, informative videos that can be displayed along with the existing contents on your website as well monetized through programs like YouTube Partner Program.
- Partnering with technology companies like WPEngine for developing state-of-the-art websites powered by WordPress and seeking overseas clients.
- Platforms like Linkedin Sales Navigator, SMergers for seeking financial deals.
- Buying subscription plans from local directories like IndiaMart and JustDial for seeking local clients.
- Exploring ad space marketplaces like AdClerks for space selling as the same can be a source of fixed monthly income with an ideal to be approved by BuySellAds that demands 50,000 monthly impressions to be considered on their platform.
- Flippa and ideally EmpireFlippers, FE International for a possible sale of existing websites as the same can generate a significant capital gain.
- For freelancers and small businesses, it is difficult to compete with the big players while bidding government tenders. In India, opting for Single Point Registration Scheme of NSIC makes it eligible to get the benefits under Public Procurement Policy for Micro & Small Enterprises (MSEs) as notified by the Government of India, Ministry of Micro Small & Medium Enterprises including issue of the tender sets free of cost, exemption from payment of Earnest Money Deposit (EMD). Also helpful will be getting your small business enrolled on Government e Marketplace (GeM) – ‘an online, end to end solution for procurement of commonly used goods and services for all Central Government and State Government Ministries, Departments, Public Sector Units (PSUs) and affiliated bodies.’ Cloud hosting service providers like AWS support their partners (APN public sector partner) in complying with government guidelines thereby helping foray into this niche.